Monday, May 21, 2007

I Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Rag

I Feel Like I’m Fixing To Die Rag by Joe McDonald

2 pages - complete by Wednesday May 23

This song by Country Joe and the Fish became one of the first protest songs of the Vietnam Era. Read the lyrics to the song, and then respond to the following:

What is the song asking the “big strong men to do”?

To join the army.

… the “generals” to do?

To lead your troops into war and die for your country.

… “Wall Street” to do?

To hurry up and give the soldiers the supplies they need.

… “mothers” to do?

Make your son join the army.

Write down four specific lines from the song that display sarcasm, cynicism, or anti-war sentiment.

  • Whoope! We're all gonna die.
  • What are we fighting for? Don't ask me, I don't give a damn.
  • We're gonna have a whole lotta fun
  • Be the first one on your block to have your son come home in a box.

No comments: